Supplement Form and Dosage Recommendations

A discussion area for all other topics. When you start a thread, please make the topic clear in the subject. You may prefer to start a thread in the "blog posts" forum (above) -- and refer to my blog title about that topic.
karlyk

Supplement Form and Dosage Recommendations

Post by karlyk »

Hello,

This question is for Lara or any other ND out there to offer some guidance on what form herbal supplements should be taken. The popular options are tincture (with dropper), liquid capsules, dried capsule, loose powder. I understand it depends on the herb itself, as each may react or be activiatd in the body in different ways. But, is there a general rule or information you can provide to help guide us on what form to take? I get confused, because one herb may be sold in each of these forms, so, I never know which form is the best. I'd prefer to take something standardized in a capsule or tablet, but don't know if liquid or dried is better.

I am specifically seeking guidance for which form to take St. John's Wort for mild depression. Yes, I have spoken to my MD about taking it, he's told me it's safe and won't interfere with any other medications I take, but he's unable to recommend a dosage to me, or info on what form to take the herb.

Any advise?

If it's relevant, I'm 30yo, 63 kg (140lbs) female, not on any birthcontrol.