11 year old with intellectual development disorder and heavy bleeding

Read, watch, or listen to the podcast here.
Gives

11 year old with intellectual development disorder and heavy bleeding

Post by Gives »

Hi Lara I have a question for you regarding my 11 year old daughter. She has had her period now for roughly 6 months and is struggling terribly with it. She has global delay and whilst 11 is young by most stds (my eldest didn’t start her periods until she was 13) she really is 11 going on 8. Adding to this she has very heavy flow. So she is on tsx 1 x 500mg 3 x daily. This doesn’t seem to help and if anything she gets more cramping which I guess is due to clots? Anyway I have all your books and know how you feel re contraceptive pill for shutting down hormones but my question is, is there a safe way to suppress her periods until she and I are more able to deal with it? She is already dairy free and has been since birth since she was allergic. (It is quite debilitating for us both and as regular as clockwork for 9 days per month!). Of course I will go to gp but was hoping for some ideas to discuss with them since I know they will just lead me to the pill which I am worried about honestly. Thanks for any consideration,,