Chapter 2 - the emotional experience of perimenopause

A discussion area for topics from my second book Hormone Repair Manual. When you start a thread, please refer to the chapter where the topic appears.
Lara

Chapter 2 - the emotional experience of perimenopause

Post by Lara »

Could you relate to any of the emotions explored in Chapter 2? Shame, freedom, grief, or a return to girlhood?
EssBee

Re: Chapter 2 - the emotional experience of perimenopause

Post by EssBee »

Having been diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21 and not having a regular cycle until my late 30's--thanks to the work I did with a naturopath (I'm now in my mid-50's and perimenopausal for almost 10 years), I have been pleasantly surprised that my body is doing this without a lot of intervention. So far, it's been relatively easy compared to many of my friends.

The biggest issue is that seems to have undone much of my previous work to get things in balance, so am working on correcting that and I am grateful for your books and the research that has been done in the last 30+ years to better manage/understand PCOS.

In general, I'm excited for the changes that are happening and looking forward to what is to come although, I'm happy to keep having a cycle as long as it lasts because of the health benefits but when I do actually stop having a cycle I see it as just another right of passage. Maybe I'll feel differently when it actually happens, I'll see.

I've done a lot of work on the emotions that underlaid my PCOS, that has been transformational, so maybe that's why perimenopause/menopause doesn't seem like a big deal and also why I'm looking forward to this next stage. I feel like I'm becoming who I was meant to be and that's something to embrace and enjoy and be excited about.