Fibroids and heavy periods

Read, watch, or listen to the podcast here.
Heidi

Fibroids and heavy periods

Post by Heidi »

Hello. Thank you for your books and website. I just finished Period Repair Manual. I've been struggling with very heavy periods (emptying my 50 ml menstrual cup) every 1-2 hours for my 2-3 heaviest days. My period has been like this since three babies ago. I've had many pregnancies and recently had a miscarriage. I've been taking iron to help my anemia. I met with my dr. today and don't know where to go with managing these periods. I am pretty sure I ovulate, although I don't track my temperature. I have light bleeding around ovulation time and I got pregnant while still having very heavy periods. I'm 40 and also have a small fibroid. Would you suggest prometrium supplements for the last two weeks of my cycle? Turmeric? Or dealing surgically with my fibroid? I'd like to preserve my fertility, but also would really like a more manageable flow. I don't think dairy has an impact on me. I've been dairy free for portions of my life with no noticeable differences in anything. I often become hypoglycemic while pregnant and breastfeeding though. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with information/symptoms and would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!
terrip

Re: Fibroids and heavy periods

Post by terrip »

I'm not Lara, but imo, you really need to chart your basal temperature to ensure you are ovulating or at least which cycles you are ovulating. It will give a much fuller picture of why you are heavy bleeding. It may be that your just not producing enough progesterone even with ovulation, and there are ways to up that naturally IF you are ovulating. If you are not ovulating then there are different strategies to reduce heaving bleeding. There are lots of easy apps to help you chart your cycle with the temperature. So just to recap, there are different strategies to reduce heaving bleeding ... but they depend on whether or not you are ovulating regularly.
Heidi

Re: Fibroids and heavy periods

Post by Heidi »

Will do. However, while doing that and waiting to see a pattern, would you suggest starting on turmeric or other supplements?