Micronized Progesterone Cream?

A discussion area for topics from my second book Hormone Repair Manual. When you start a thread, please refer to the chapter where the topic appears.
Lekshe50

Micronized Progesterone Cream?

Post by Lekshe50 »

I have a question after reading Hormone Repair Manual and also doing my own research, please can you help?

It appears that the form of progesterone that is advised via some trials and prescribed by a clinician is oral micronized progesterone. My question relates specifically to New Zealand, however, I cannot find any data on this: Is micronized progesterone "cream", placed on the skin in general safe to use when compounded at a reputable NZ lab?

Probably a difficult question to answer, without context. I ask because progesterone "cream" that is compounded in New Zealand, I don't believe is the same as what is compounded in the states; It is available via script only and as far as I can tell is regulated. I have been in contact with one of the main compounding labs of progesterone cream in New Zealand and quizzed them about their standards, testing and also where they get their active ingredients from.

Any response would be so appreciated.

Thank you, Lekshe
Lara

Re: Micronized Progesterone Cream?

Post by Lara »

In New Zealand, oral micronized progesterone is available as the medication Utrogestan.
Lekshe50

Post by Lekshe50 »

Hi Lara, thank you for your reply. My question relates to cream placed on the skin rather than oral supplementation, as I would like to take a much lower dose than is available via oral medication.

Here is my question:
Is micronized progesterone "cream", placed on the skin in general safe to use when compounded at a reputable NZ lab? Does it have side effects or risks associated with it?

Thank you,
Lekshe
Lara

Post by Lara »

I discuss cream in my body-identical hormone podcast. As I explain in the podcast, progesterone cream is safe to use and can relieve some perimenopausal symptoms. The main thing is that is probably not strong enough to protect the uterine lining from estrogen therapy.
Lekshe50

Post by Lekshe50 »

Hi Lara,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it and what you have said is really helpful. I will be sure to listen to the podcast as well.
Thanks again,
Lekshe