Iodine for post menopausal women

A discussion area for all other topics. When you start a thread, please make the topic clear in the subject. You may prefer to start a thread in the "blog posts" forum (above) -- and refer to my blog title about that topic.
Susan L

Iodine for post menopausal women

Post by Susan L »

I have a strong family history of breast cancer and try to implement preventative steps.

My research shows the benefit of iodine for breasts but the research has the main focus on women in peri menopause or those that are still actively cycling.

I would be interested in comments about utilizing iodine once your cycles have completely stop and proper dosages.

Thank you everyone for your help!
Lara

Re: Iodine for post menopausal women

Post by Lara »

There's not a lot of research, unfortunately, but it does seem that iodine could be helpful for risk reduction. I take it myself for general risk reduction and I am also post-menopausal. The dose always depends on whether there is any underlying issue with thyroid including positive thyroid or TPO antibodies. As an example (in my case), I am negative for TPO antibodies so I feel confident to take 1.2 mg 5 days per week as a maintenance/prevention dose.
Susan L

Post by Susan L »

Thank you for the detailed response. I am having trouble locating iodine in the dosage you recommended. Prior to being post menopausal I did take Violet Daily. I have been tested and also have no TPO antibodies. If you could recommend a brand I would be very grateful. Love the new forums!
Lara

Post by Lara »

Violet is 3 mg, so to obtain a lower dose, one option is to just take it every second day.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Hi, are there other brands you recommend please as I live in Belgium?
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards, Eva