Bioidentical Progesterone & Weight Gain

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Sophie207

Bioidentical Progesterone & Weight Gain

Post by Sophie207 »

Hello,

I am a 42 year old female experiencing many hormonal issues. Last year I took the dutch test which showed post menopausal progesterone levels, estrogen levels where normal which explained my estrogen dominant symptoms (horrible pms, heavy bleeding, cramps, unexplainable weight gain, breast tenderness.) Holistic Dr prescribed 100 mg of bioidentical progesterone. Was also taking DIM and a couple other supplements. Within three months I started to notice a very positive change. All of the hormonal issues were getting better and I dropped the unwanted weight. Its been about a year and I am currently just taking the 100 mg of bioidentical progesterone troches during the luteal phase only but have been experiencing some unwanted symptoms again. After doing research, I am wondering if I am now progesterone dominant or perhaps need to increase my does because symptoms of too much progesterone and estrogen dominance seem very similar. I seem too be gaining a pound each month, a little breast tenderness, and horrible pms symptoms. If the weight gain was from too much progesterone would I drop the weight when not taking progesterone during the follicular phase? Isn't pms symptoms caused from estrogen dominance? How can you tell the difference? Feeling very frustrated and defeated so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Lara

Re: Bioidentical Progesterone & Weight Gain

Post by Lara »

Is it definitely only progesterone in the troche? No testosterone? (because testosterone supplementation commonly causes weight gain)
Sophie207

Post by Sophie207 »

Thank you for your response. Yes progesterone only.
Sophie207

Post by Sophie207 »

I should also note that I have been experiencing cramping from day 14 through 28. Thank you
Lara

Post by Lara »

Any other medications that could have contributed to weight gain? Eg. antihistamines or antibiotics?
Sophie207

Post by Sophie207 »

No antibiotics, But I do take a teaspoon of night time NyQuil or robittusion to help sleep some nights. I am currently taking a pure encapsulations probiotic, DIM, multi vitamin, p5p, vitamin c, zinc, and herbal tincture mc bb2 to treat Lyme Disease.
Lara

Post by Lara »

Antihistamines are more likely than progesterone to be the cause of weight gain.