Hello

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
m_a_a

Hello

Post by m_a_a »

Hi, I’m a 40 yr old in the U.S. (North Carolina). I’m trying to fix gut issues that I’ve been struggling with for about a decade and a half. IBS-C, methane SIBO (or IMO), eating disorder. I started learning about hormone health within the past few years because it’s so closely connected to the above mentioned things. I’ve often blamed my hormones for making me constipated, which led me to engage in behaviors to alleviate it, which then led to other problems. Like many people, I was given birth control to help with PMS. It lightened my periods, but not the bloating and cramps. I was on the pill for somewhere between 5-10 years. Then I stopped because I read that it could cause leaky gut (among other things). I was fine for about half a year. (During this time I started taking some of the suggested things I previously didn’t know about - like magnesium, B vitamins, vitex, DIM, calcium D glucarate, etc.) But then the pain came back so extremely that I told my doctor I wanted a hysterectomy. She said no because all the tests showed that my uterus and ovaries were fine, and she suggested going back on the pill. So I did. I know it’s not the best thing, especially at the age I am. I’m currently experimenting with different antimicrobials for my SIBO as well as prokinetics for gut motility, and down the line I know I’ll have to do stuff to repair my intestinal lining again and balance my gut flora. Adding hormone troubles on top of all that is overwhelming. I either deal with harmful effects of the pill or the pain of ovulation and fluctuating levels of actual hormones (which I have to say is what started all my gut trouble in the first place). I actually feel like menopause would be a dream because I wouldn’t have to have periods, lol. (I know menopause has its own symptoms, but they can’t be worse than what I’m going through now). Anyway, that’s my story. Nice to have a forum dedicated to this stuff!