How to establish ovulation cyclical progesterone therapy for PCOS?

A discussion area for topics from my blog. When you start a thread, please refer to the blog title.
Sharvey

How to establish ovulation cyclical progesterone therapy for PCOS?

Post by Sharvey »

Hi Dr. Lara,

I have a question about cyclical progesterone therapy. In your article 'Cyclic Progesterone Therapy for PCOS' on your website you suggest to "switch to taking progesterone only during the two weeks of the luteal phase (i.e. starting a day or two after), once cycles become ovulatory. After six or more ovulatory cycles, you may be able to stop taking progesterone because you’re now making it."

My question is how do you establish if your cycle is ovulatory whilst taking progesterone cyclical?

Some background info to my question: I have PCOS and had irregular cycles of 45-67 days long. I have been taking my BBT for years.
I started using progesterone cream first and then switched to taking 300mg micronized progesterone suppositories cyclical at cycle day 14 for 14 days. I got adviced to do cyclical progesterone therapy for 3 cycles and then see if my body would ovulate on its own.
My cycle length were 32 days for all 3 cycles! My BBT went up in each of these cycles at respectively day 20/18/16. This is my first cycle not using any progestorone, and at first it seemed my ovulation was happening around cycle day 20(stingy ovary, BBT drop, eggwhite cervical mucus). However my BBT never went up and now my period started at cycle day 24 after an anovulatory cycle. This makes me question if stopped too soon with progesterone therapy. And if my BBT only went up do to the progesterone suppositories, instead of a rise in BBT due to ovulation?

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to answer this question.

Kind regards,
Harvey