Gentle Carbs for GABA, Cortisol, and HPA (Adrenal) Dysfunction

A discussion area for topics from my blog. When you start a thread, please refer to the blog title.
thesadshow

Gentle Carbs for GABA, Cortisol, and HPA (Adrenal) Dysfunction

Post by thesadshow »

I came across your article (https://www.larabriden.com/gentle-carbs ... al-health/) and you're the first person I've heard describe the problem that I believe I have, which was caused by doing the keto diet for over two years.

Your article seems to briefly explain the problem I might have, but it mentions more how to avoid the problem by eating starches, rather than how to fix a problem that you've already caused. But you sound like you really understand the physiology of my situation.

While on the diet I got extreme panic attacks which I never had before, along with a ton of other horrendous symptoms. However, I kept doing the diet for about two years feeling absolutely terrible because the keto community gave me the impression that I felt bad because I was doing it wrong so I tried to persevere. After finally stopping the diet, when I started to re-introduce carbs I started getting horrible reactions that were similar to panic attacks each time I ate. My body must have made some kind of adaptation to the diet that made my stress hormones go out of control again when I went back to eating carbs.

It's been more than two years since I started eating carbs again and it's been a very long road. Constant anxiety and reactions to eating etc. But I thought I was making very slow progress until suddenly a few months ago I started getting anxiety that can only be described as extreme stimulation when I eat. Then it turned into what I would call breathing fits that lasted hours. They seemed like a panic attack without the panic. Currently I'm waking up in the middle of the night finding it hard regulate my breathing pattern, then early in the morning I get a feeling of stress running through my body like electricity until I get out of bed and eat something. At that point, I either have a breathing fit or I get a feeling of stimulation that makes it hard to keep a normal breathing pattern.

Ever since I did the keto diet my stress response is on super high alert. Since things got worse all of sudden the last few months, now I can't even carry a heavy bag of garbage down three floors to my garbage room without needing to sit down and do deep breathing for about ten minutes because I feel like I have stress hormones running through me.

I think my body is trying to reverse whatever I did to it all of a sudden but it doesn't know how. That's how it feels. I apologize for the very long post but you are the only person I've come across who seems to understand what might be going on with me and if you could be so kind as to offer some quick advice or give some kind of feedback, I would be very grateful.

I know keto works wonders for many people, but it ruined my life. Please help me, if you can. I've been to several doctors and they won't help me. I need to understand what's happening to me and what the solution is.