Fish Oil Fact vs Fiction

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
BB72

Fish Oil Fact vs Fiction

Post by BB72 »

Fact vs Fiction - appreciate Dr Briden's thoughts:
Fish Oil supplements are generally rancid by the time they reach consumer?
And also Cod Liver Oil as the suggested swap?
Thanks!
BB72

Re: Fish Oil Fact vs Fiction

Post by BB72 »

Noticed my post got several views but no replies. :(
If anyone has any thoughts, or research to share, I'd greatly appreciate.
And def curious on Dr B's opinion if she's reading this!

Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil was recommended to me for EPA/DHA and Vits D & A. As better alt to potentially rancid fish oil supps.
But have read Cod itself requires deworming due to worms/parasites/eggs found in the fish, particularly in the liver. So does this make Cod Liver Oil a risk for parasites?

Confused on this one and best options!
Any thoughts appreciated!
Anna2005

Post by Anna2005 »

Hi! I don't think parasites are a concern for cod fish oil because it's usually pasteurized as far as I know.

But what I heard is that fish oil is not healthy to consume in supplement form, fish oil from supplements is really suspectable to oxidizing, because of how much PUFA they contain. Oxidized oils are highly inflammatory.

"Can fish oil oxidize?

Marine omega-3 rich oils are used by more than a third of American adults for a wide range of purported benefits including prevention of cardiovascular disease. These oils are highly prone to oxidation to lipid peroxides and other secondary oxidation products." (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 20products.)

So I think it's better to just eat fatty red fish and mackerel, halibut, sardines, etc.

Plus, whole wild fish is really good for balancing hormones and androgens, as well as thyroid.

"Various studies also indicate promising anti-hypertensive, anti-cancer, antioxidant, anti-depression, anti-ageing, and anti-arthritis effects, whilst more recent studies suggest positive anti-inflammatory, hormonal and metabolic benefits from adding fish to our diet. (Mendevil, 2021; Siriwardhana et al, 2012)."
Anna2005

Post by Anna2005 »

BB72 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:51 pm Noticed my post got several views but no replies. :(
If anyone has any thoughts, or research to share, I'd greatly appreciate.
And def curious on Dr B's opinion if she's reading this!

Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil was recommended to me for EPA/DHA and Vits D & A. As better alt to potentially rancid fish oil supps.
But have read Cod itself requires deworming due to worms/parasites/eggs found in the fish, particularly in the liver. So does this make Cod Liver Oil a risk for parasites?

Confused on this one and best options!
Any thoughts appreciated!
Animal organs are too a great source of vitamin A, and also contain a unique combination of high-dose iron, magnesium, copper and zinc (!).

For vitamin D you can opt for just eating whole wild fish and seafood, as well as cooking with tallow and grass-fed butter.

Weston A Price has a lot of information about it. :)