Bio identical progesterone and oily thin hair

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Suzydear

Bio identical progesterone and oily thin hair

Post by Suzydear »

Hi,

I am 45 years old. I started taking bio identical progesterone two years ago cyclically (days 14-27) I have now started taking bio indentical progesterone every day in recent months as my periods were every where (two periods in one month a week a part shorter cycle heavy periods) since I have to contend with oily stringy thinning hair even after I wash it. I have a sulphate free natural shampoo, wash in cold water, cold water rinses, hair wrapping, I take magnesium byglycenate, b vitamins, vitamin d, biotin, exercise, get good rest but nothing is working. My gynaecologist told me to let her know of any worsening symptoms and I follow up with them in a couple months so is it time to start adding bio identical estrogen to my hrt? Will this help?

Thanks!
Jeslyn

Re: Bio identical progesterone and oily thin hair

Post by Jeslyn »

Hi Suzy

This is a complex hormonal situation, which is not uncommon around the age of 45, often characterized by changes in menstrual patterns and symptoms like hair changes. Using bioidentical progesterone cyclically is generally helpful for perimenopausal symptoms, but since you've started experiencing more erratic menstrual cycles and hair issues, it's reasonable to reconsider your hormone therapy plan.

The thinning and textural changes in your hair could be related to hormonal fluctuations typical of perimenopause. Progesterone therapy, especially when taken continuously, can influence your overall hormonal balance, including estrogen levels. Since estrogen plays a key role in hair health, contributing to hair thickness and growth, a decrease in estrogen relative to progesterone might be contributing to your hair issues.

Incorporating bioidentical estrogen into your hormone replacement therapy (HRT) may help balance the effects of progesterone and could potentially improve your hair condition. However, it's important to do this under the guidance of your gynaecologist , as they can assess your overall hormone levels and symptoms to determine the appropriate therapy. Estrogen therapy should be carefully tailored, considering your personal health history, risks, and the specific symptoms you are experiencing.

Additionally, it's good to hear that you're taking a comprehensive approach with supplements, diet, exercise, and hair care. However, given the complexity of hormonal changes at this stage of life, these measures might not fully address hormone-driven issues.

Given the changes you've experienced, it seems like an appropriate time to discuss the potential addition of bioidentical estrogen with your gynaecologist. They can evaluate your symptoms in the context of your current progesterone therapy and overall health to determine if estrogen therapy is a suitable option for you. Remember, hormone therapy is quite individualised, and what works for one person may not be appropriate for another. Regular follow-up and monitoring are key to finding the right balance for your needs.

You might also find some helpful insights in this episode of the podcast:
https://www.larabriden.com/a-safer-type ... e-therapy/

I hope that help!

Jeslyn