Berberine

A discussion area for endometriosis. Please start by reviewing my podcast/Youtube video Endometriosis is a disease of immune dysfunction. And Chapter 9 of Period Repair Manual.
keeks108

Berberine

Post by keeks108 »

Could you share the the typical dosage of Berberine you suggest a patient with Andenimyosis should take, at what frequency and duration? I am 5’2 and weigh 115lbs. I am planning to start working with a naturopath but was not able to find one that has your specialization with Adenomyosis, so they don’t have this answer. Any guidance you can offer would be very helpful and I can then discuss with my provider. I am also wondering if you recommend taking NAC concurrently? Thank you so much. I feel very hopeful hearing that this has helped other women.
Lara

Re: Berberine

Post by Lara »

Speaking very generally, I usually prescribe 5-week courses of berberine at a dose 500 mg twice daily but weekdays only (5 out of 7 days) for 1 bottle, then take a break, then maybe do a second bottle. But please do speak to your clinician about it, and be careful with any interactions with your medication. And in general, yes, berberine can be combined with NAC.
keeks108

Post by keeks108 »

Thank you so much for your response, this is extremely helpful. My research suggests taking NAC 600mg 3x/day to assist with decreasing Endometriosis. Would you agree with this dosage recommendation and for what duration would you suggest? I am going to take both the NAC and Berberine recommendations to my provider.

I also wanted to ask if a Naturopath who has experience treating SIBO should be familiar with use of Berberine? While it's rare to find a Naturopath with expertise in treatment of Adenomyomas and Endo, it is more common to find someone with experience treating SIBO in my area. Thanks again Dr. Briden, this is such a helpful resource. The information you shared has offered me hope and I can't tell you how much that means.
emilyemunn

Post by emilyemunn »

Hello!

Here is the observational cohort study on NAC and endo for those interested. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/240702/

I also wanted to say, it is not rare for naturopathic physicians with a women's health focus to treat endometriosis at least where I live and practice. I treated 3 patients this week with this diagnosis!
Lara

Post by Lara »

Thanks for commenting, Emily. You can make a signature with your details and link to your practice.
keeks108

Post by keeks108 »

Is there a brand of Berberine that you trust and recommend? Do you recommend taking Berberine that is derived from Barberry vs. other plants?
Kk2389

Post by Kk2389 »

Hi!

I’m a naturopath and have endo myself :) I’m not sure where you live but in Australia, the berberine in our practitioner only products are from Berberis vulgaris (barberry).