Hormones, Anxiety and Sleep

A discussion area for all other topics. When you start a thread, please make the topic clear in the subject. You may prefer to start a thread in the "blog posts" forum (above) -- and refer to my blog title about that topic.
lcw13

Hormones, Anxiety and Sleep

Post by lcw13 »

Hi Lara,

I am 33 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS in my teens. While I have irregular cycles and hirsutism, I have normal androgens, low progesterone and high prolactin (most recent 60 ug/L; testing ruled out prolactinoma), which has caused some practitioners to speculate that it may not be PCOS. I also suspect I have endometriosis due to pelvic pain. I was diagnosed with SIBO last fall and have been on a supplement regime from a dietician including Berberine for 2 months (1g TID). Since my bloating is still present, the dietician switched me from Berberine to Neem two weeks ago for one last antimicrobial round before we retest for SIBO. I also started Vitex at that time, in case the bloating is coming from hormonal issues and no longer SIBO.

Unfortunately, In the past two weeks I have had a horrible flare of anxiety, insomnia along with breast and pelvic pain. I'm wondering if you think either stopping the Berberine or starting the Vitex could have caused the anxiety/insomnia? I stopped the vitex temporarily 3 days ago and still have the symptoms. I just purchased B6 today because of your prolactin article. Should I consider progesterone supplementation as well? The only other change in my health is a moderna covid booster on 9 January.

In your Period Repair Manual you talk about the importance of ovulation so I'm really trying to get my prolactin down while working on SIBO, but am afraid the Vitex may be what caused my anxiety and insomnia (I'm getting about 3-4 hours of sleep a night, even with magnesium, melatonin and sleepy time tea). If you would recommend sticking it out with Vitex, I'm certainly willing to.

Thank you for everything you do for women's hormonal health. When my family doctor saw my prolactin level she said if you're not trying to conceive, don't worry about. After reading your book and countless articles, I know this is not the right answer.
Lara

Re: Hormones, Anxiety and Sleep

Post by Lara »

The other possible explanation for the anxiety and insomnia is the high salicylate content of Neem. Have you ever noticed a salicylate sensitivity? (eg. ear ringing and anxiety from aspirin and herbal medicines)
lcw13

Re: Hormones, Anxiety and Sleep

Post by lcw13 »

Sorry I should have specified that I started the vitex a few days before the Neem, and the anxiety started after the vitex but before the Neem. I’ve never noticed any issues issues with aspirin and haven’t had anxiety in the previous two months with the SIBO protocol/herbal medicines.