Using natural progesterone for endometriosis

A discussion area for endometriosis. Please start by reviewing my podcast/Youtube video Endometriosis is a disease of immune dysfunction. And Chapter 9 of Period Repair Manual.
meowallthetime

Using natural progesterone for endometriosis

Post by meowallthetime »

My doctor has put me on Norlutate 5mg (Norethindrone) daily, to suppress symptoms of endometriosis. However I am experiencing some severe side effects which point to low estrogen symptoms (hot flashes, weight gain, 14+ days of debilitated migraines a month, while feeling nauseas and with severe heart palpitations all the “good” days). I am not functional or productive at all! And I know this is not sustainable.

I have asked my gyne about switching to Prometrium, but he does not feel it can be a substitute for Norlutate. My ND is willing to prescribe natural oral progesterone for me (I had used it prior to Norlutate for the last 2 weeks of my cycle for a few years, and it helped lessen my normally heavy flow, but did not help with the pain - no side effects).

My question is, if I stay on Norlutate, will estradiol add back be helpful to minimize side effects? Or if I switch to Prometrium, would be be taken continuously and at what dosage? Would it stop my period like Norlutate?

Thank you!
Lara

Re: Using natural progesterone for endometriosis

Post by Lara »

As I describe in my endometriosis podcast episode, the main treatment for endometriosis is immune treatment, not hormonal. Once immune treatment is in place, Prometrium can usually have more of an effect.
meowallthetime

Re: Using natural progesterone for endometriosis

Post by meowallthetime »

Thanks Lara! Appreciate the quick reply!

I worked with a naturopath and the wonderful guidance from your books and blog, and have used most of the protocols mentioned. Unfortunately there was no significant improvements, and I ended up choosing to go on Norlutate as I needed a break from the endo symptoms!

I will revisit those protocols again in the near future.