70 year old with night sweats - do I take Estriol?

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
bowen777

70 year old with night sweats - do I take Estriol?

Post by bowen777 »

Hello, I am 70. My periods stopped around 58 yrs old. I have had ALOT of hair loss, anxiety and continued night sweats. I still have 1-2 night sweats every night. I have high cortisol levels in the AM and mid afternoon it drops to where I am dragging. High cholesterol (300). I have been going to a homeopath for three years. She has given me estriol/estradiol cream (2.5/2.5) because labs showed estrogen was still very low. She gave me progesterone tablet (100mg) daily and progesterone levels are now normal. Testosterone wouldn't come up with cream so she started giving me a testosterone pellet. She also gave me DHEA to help. She also gave me Estrovera to help with the night sweats. After 3 years with the homeopath my estrogen levels haven't come up but my night sweats decreased (didn't stop yet) and my hair didn't come back but stopped falling out by the handfuls. I visited my PCP for an annual and she told me I shouldn't be taking estrogen. So I read your book and after so many years after menopause you didn't seem to recommend taking estriol/estradiol. So I am very confused.

Given my tremendous hair loss, I lost all my eyebrows and lots of my hair, higher anxiety and night sweats, please guide me what I am supposed to do. Should I continue with the homeopath giving me the 3 bioidentical hormones or is that hurting me? I want to do what is best for my body and health.

I thank you in advance to help me in any way you can
Blessings
Bev
Lara

Re: 70 year old with night sweats - do I take Estriol?

Post by Lara »

Hormone therapy can be appropriate for older women in some circumstances. Best to work with your doctor. In the US, qualified naturopathic doctors can be found on the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians website.