Doubts about PCOS - Metabolism & Menstrual Workshop with Kira Sutherland

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
olimpia_castro

Doubts about PCOS - Metabolism & Menstrual Workshop with Kira Sutherland

Post by olimpia_castro »

Hi,

I attended the Metabolism & Menstrual Workshop with Kira Sutherland and I would like to ask some doubs in relation to PCOS:

· Can hypo/hyperthyroidism be present although the analytics levels are in the current range? Personally I have 0,8ng/L (T3), 0,76ng/dL (T4L), 1'01mU/L (TSH) and PCOS (irregular periods ever since). Doctors don't find the origin of amenorrhea and I am wondering if I could have something wrong with my tiroid underdiagnosed.

· If testosterone is higher in women in the late follicular phase + at the moment of ovulation, could the sports that enhance testosterone not be recommended to women with PCOS? (My logic says that if these women have high androgen basal levels, making determined sports can make even higher these androgen levels and then be counterproductive for their hormone balance).

· If my hypothesis is correct, would the effects on the hormonal balance depend on the phase of the menstrual cycle that the sports with high androgen response are done?

Thank you so much for your time and answer.

Big hugs,

Olimpia Castro Viu
Psychologisy & Period Coach
www.olimpiapsicologia.com
Lara

Re: Doubts about PCOS - Metabolism & Menstrual Workshop with Kira Sutherland

Post by Lara »

Hi Olimpia,

apologies for my slow response. I don't think there's any concern about "sports that enhance testosterone." The main issue with sport and periods is underfueling or undereating or RED-s, as we discussed in the webinar. Are you sure you're eating enough to get a period? The most useful test to look at is the LH/FSH ratio. Low LH can suggest undereating.