Amenorrhea, but why?

A discussion area for all other topics. When you start a thread, please make the topic clear in the subject. You may prefer to start a thread in the "blog posts" forum (above) -- and refer to my blog title about that topic.
Lauren Hinkley

Amenorrhea, but why?

Post by Lauren Hinkley »

Hi Lara!

I've been trying to get to the bottom of my period issues since puberty and I'm 25 now. I got my first period which was so light and irregular at 17 and was almost immediately put on the pill to "regulate". I was off and on birth control until about 4 months ago when I decided to say goodbye for good. Every time I've been off of it which has never been for more than 6 months, I never got periods.

This, on top of a whole slew of other symptoms recently including fatigue, anxiety, occasional (but awful) abdominal pains and bloating (like...bad 🎈) have left me so confused. I've taken two hormone tests over the years and the only abnormality was a slightly high free testosterone once, but not out of normal range.

What's going on!!
Lara

Re: Amenorrhea, but why?

Post by Lara »

Has your doctor given you any indication of a diagnosis?
Please see my blog post Is it PCOS or hypothalamic amenorrhea?
Of course, it could be neither of those things. I assume you've been screened for thyroid, prolactin etc.