abnormal bleeding

A discussion area for all other topics. When you start a thread, please make the topic clear in the subject. You may prefer to start a thread in the "blog posts" forum (above) -- and refer to my blog title about that topic.
Antonia

abnormal bleeding

Post by Antonia »

Oops, I seem to have posted my question in the Introductions section, when I should have posted it here. I'm sorry I am new to the forum. So, I am moving my question here:

Dear Lara,
I’ve got your book and find it really helpful. It’s the best period guide I’ve ever come across. I’ve learnt so much from it and found some great explanations in it. I’ve already recommended it to my sister and some of my friends.
I’m writing to you with a question about abnormal bleeding and would really love to hear your opinion about it. I’ve got a regular cycle of 28 days with ovulation on day 14 checked with the temperature method but some months I’ve got abnormal bleeding on day 9 and 10. That cannot possibly be mid-cycle bleeding because it happens early in the follicular phase and it’s not anovulatory because I ovulate. It doesn’t happen every month but when it does, it always follows the same pattern – I’ve had it in the last two months, for example. I’ve recently had scans and they were normal so I think the reason is purely hormonal. It’s probably due to estrogen imbalance but I can’t figure out if that’s due to lower than normal estrogen or estrogen excess at that time so I’m not sure how to supplement it – whether I need to boost it or lower it. I would be so grateful to hear your opinion on this case because my gynaecologist could not give me an answer and I’m really trying to understand this issue.
In addition, I’ve got premenstrual spotting 5 days before my period (lower progesterone) and sometimes breast swelling (estrogen excess). So, obviously, there are some hormonal fluctuations but this bleeding on day 9 and 10 remains a bit mysterious to me as to whether it’s estrogen excess or estrogen deficiency or possibly something else.
I would be so happy to receive a reply from you!
Antonia
Lara

Re: abnormal bleeding

Post by Lara »

Hi Antonia,
yes, mid-follicular spotting is an unusual symptom. And the doctor definitely gave you an all-clear in terms of polyps, cervical ectropion etc? From a hormonal perspective, I might be tempted to check thyroid, if that hasn't been done already.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Thank you so much for your reply, Lara. I actually have cervical ectropian. But I still can't understand how that can cause bleeding on exactly the same days for a few consecutive months and then none for a few months. I thought cervical ectropian usually causes bleeding after intercourse or some kind of irregular or longer bleeding throughout the month. I had a TSH blood test not long ago and it showed 1.05 mIU/ml (ref. 0.47-5.01). Do you think the cervical ectropian might be the reason?
Lara

Post by Lara »

Cervical ectropion can cause spotting between periods. And is affected by hormones.
Mylifeasliz

Post by Mylifeasliz »

Hi Antonia,

Did you ever get any more definitives on if this was only cervical ectropion or possibly something more? I am having same exact symptoms, every month always around cd 9-10-11 and I suspect it may be hormonal too, but both my ob and re are completely dismissing it. I also may have cervical ectropion from d&c for mmc.