Low iron - GI "bleeding?"

A discussion area for all other topics. When you start a thread, please make the topic clear in the subject. You may prefer to start a thread in the "blog posts" forum (above) -- and refer to my blog title about that topic.
jeangrey

Low iron - GI "bleeding?"

Post by jeangrey »

I have low iron levels that have been decreasing in particular the last 5 years. My doctor (my non-integrative PCP) wants to check a pelvic ultrasound first to see if there's any "extra bleeding" and she says if that looks normal then wants to do a GI work-up, again, for "any bleeding." She didn't explain this very well to me. Does this make sense? How can my GI tract "bleed" without me knowing about it? I've been eating a lot of dairy, also due to being depressed during the pandemic I've been eating it more, and I've known for a long time I'm sensitive to it. It makes sense to me that it's more of an absorption issue, and I don't want to be rushed in to any GI tract tests that I don't understand or aren't necessary. This doc is pushy and she doesn't like answering my questions and giving me actual detailed answers. I'm planning on finding an integrative medicine doc, too.
Lara

Re: Low iron - GI "bleeding?"

Post by Lara »

Yes, hidden GI bleeding can cause iron deficiency so sometimes does need to be assessed.
Are your periods heavy? Because that would be a more obvious place to start.