Progesterone Therapy— cycling or every day

Read, watch, or listen to the podcast here.
Victorialynn

Progesterone Therapy— cycling or every day

Post by Victorialynn »

I have been dealing with heavy bleeding for about two years now, which has resulted in anemia and iron infusions. I feel like the anemia/infusions have also made the bleeding worse and my cycles more irregular. In addition, I had uterine polyps removed 6 months ago. But that did not seem to affect my bleeding or cycles. I’m in perimenopause, and just found a doctor who prescribed progesterone from a compounding pharmacy. She started me at 50 mg and now I’m at 100 mg. I haven’t noticed ANY improvement and I’m wondering if it’s too low of a dose? And also wondering if I should be cycling progesterone or just taking it daily. At this point I’ve been bleeding for 31 days straight so I’m not even sure what day of my cycle I’m on. My doctors are at the point of pushing ablation and I’d really rather not. 😕
Lara

Re: Progesterone Therapy— cycling or every day

Post by Lara »

According to Prof Prior's protocols, heavy periods require at least 200 mg of oral progesterone and usually cycled -- to time the progesterone to the two weeks before the bleed.
GKnee

Re: Progesterone Therapy— cycling or every day

Post by GKnee »

I'm wondering what usually happens after a course of daily progesterone treatment for 3 months? Do people usually stop taking the progesterone and see what happens? Or continue on with a maintenance does but cyclic day 14-28? It is very expensive so would hope to not have to continue, but wouldn't want to possibly cause a rebound estrogen-kickback situation. If you have anyone in BC Canada that you would recommend as a naturopathic practitioner that could guide this process, it would be so appreciated <3