Sadness/irratibility during period

A discussion area for topics from my first book Period Repair Manual. When you start a thread, please refer to the chapter where the topic appears.
Yvette1

Sadness/irratibility during period

Post by Yvette1 »

Hello! Thanks so much for your excellent book and resources. Through my wonderful GYN, four months ago I started taking 200 mg of progesterone during the later half of my cycle each month and it has been LIFE CHANGING. So much, that I have been able to reduce Prozac (which I was taking for PMDD) from 40 mg to 10 mg with NO issues at all. I feel great the week before my period (or at least fine!), and then boom -- I start bleeding, and I feel awful from day 1 through day 4 (I then start to feel good again).

My question is whether there are any supplements/foods I can use during this time? I realize I cannot continue the progesterone during this time. I have not yet tried calcium (and am almost dairy free; totally gluten free). Is calcium something else I might try? Other supplements specifically for these first few days of my cycle? Are there certain foods that might help?

Thank you so very much!
Lara

Re: Sadness/irratibility during period

Post by Lara »

Some of my patients take progesterone until day 2 or 3 of the bleed. To shelter them from symptoms during the early days of the cycle. But of course, check with your doctor.