Should I stop taking the pill?

A discussion area for all topics related to birth control. Please start by reviewing my articles The pros and cons of hormonal IUDs, The pros and cons of the copper IUD, The crucial difference between progesterone and progestins. And all of Period Repair Manual.
MichelleKorff

Should I stop taking the pill?

Post by MichelleKorff »

Hi, Lara. I am a 46 year old mother and I am currently taking the Zoely tablet just to regulate my cycle.

My GP suggested that I stay on it until I'm about 50. There is no reason to not take it but listening to your podcast this morning, I realised that my body is not making or probably not making its own hormones because of the Pilll. I had blood tests a few months ago, and because of the pill everything showed normal, so I have no idea whether I am actually in perimenopause. I would like to try and get back to more natural hormone levels but I'm worried about mood swings and things that might come with that. Do you have advice for me?
MichelleKorff

Re: Should I stop taking the pill?

Post by MichelleKorff »

I just want to add, I fast about 18 to 20 hours a day and I need to also know if this is OK for my hormones?
Lara

Re: Should I stop taking the pill?

Post by Lara »

My perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual has a chapter called "Cycle while you can," which makes the case for coming off the pill well before menopause and having natural cycles while you still can.