Migraines!

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
RadhaE

Migraines!

Post by RadhaE »

Hi Lara and Forum! I’m getting migraines on the first and second day of my period. I did some work with a naturopath last year and I was on high dose iron (I had my last baby by c section 3 years ago at 43). I’m getting a rash around my mouth. Help! I’m having to take two days a month out and it’s almost impossible with young kids. I do yoga regularly, am still holding lots of baby weight around the middle, eat quite well, and aren’t on any hormones. Any advice would be welcome.
BB72

Re: Migraines!

Post by BB72 »

Hi! I understand how debilitating menstrual migraines can be so I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing them. Thought I'd just share my personal experience in hopes it may help you/others in the forum. I also get migraines on days leading up to my period and/or days 1&2 of cycle. Sometimes also during ovulation and/or tail end of period. I believe it has to do with sharp swings in estrogen & progesterone which can be a roller coaster ride during Perimenopause. Recently removed gluten and dairy. Also added Magnesium Glycinate & Taurine taken together b/f bed. And I take a B Complex that includes B2 (riboflavin). While I still get migraines, the severity and frequency has lessened significantly to where I can take an OTC antihistamine/sleep aid and fall asleep, where previously I was awake with excruciating pain all night and it could last consistently for 48-72 hrs. I learned about Mag Glycinate as a recommended supplement for migraines in Lara's Hormone Repair Manual, along w/ some others including B2. Hope you find relief!
DaliaC

Post by DaliaC »

Hello - your response here is actually related to my unanswered Q on another thread, so maybe you can help! Can you share how much taurine you're taking with your magnesium glycinate before bed? I've been taking the magnesium glycinate after dinner, and while it seemed to help a bit with hot flashes and migraines, I'm ready to add taurine.

My Q: Lara mentioned a dosage of 3g for taurine in her Hormone Repair Manual book. I see 1000mg pills on Amazon - trying to figure out if I should take all 3 pills at once or spread them out, the timing of the pills, and whether I should start with 1 and work my way up or just dive right in with 3 pills at once.

I appreciate anything you can share about your own experience!
Lara

Post by Lara »

Day 1 or 2 migraines are still part of the premenstrual migraines that I discuss in this blog post: Natural Treatment of Menstrual Migraines and in Chapter 7 of Hormone Repair Manual. They can respond to gluten-free, magnesium, taurine etc. (one f my favourite taurines is the now brand powder -- 3/4 tsp = 3 grams. But also progesterone (aka prometrium or utrogestan) can be very helpful for migraines, and my patients with hormonal migraines usually take it up to day 3.

Post-menstrual migraines (ie. day 5 or 6) are almost always iron deficiency.