PMDD and Utrogestan

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Lucyrussell2520

PMDD and Utrogestan

Post by Lucyrussell2520 »

Hi
I’m 47 and have one ovary. I started HRT (25mcg estraderm and 100mg utrogestan cyclically) around 5 years ago.
I have MCAS and HIT. I recently lowered my estrogen patch to around 1/3 of a 50mcg and was taking utrogestan every day for my the after my gynae said it would help my histamine issues. Initially I felt great with the utrogestan but after 3 months I was gaining so much weight around my middle and suffering still with histamine issues I decided to stop it and Use cyclically again. After lowering estrogen patch I now have hot flashes and night sweats every day, I also suddenly cannot tolerate any progesterone at all. It causes terrible anxiety and insomnia and awful constipation and bloating. I am at a loss as to where to go next. I have been taking magnesium gylcinate and taurine (3mg) plus Vit b6 20 mg morning and night for last 3 months and it’s no better. I realise when I was using utrogestan every day I was also using an antihistamine 4 times daily so maybe why I was able to tolerate it but I stopped the antihistamine as I didn’t want to rely on it and it made my eyes so dry and I’m sure contributed to weight gain. I have lost the weight now I’ve reduced the estrogen and progesterone but I do know I have to use some progesterone if I’m using a small amount of estrogen patch so don’t know and to do. I find 200mg of progesterone easier to tolerate but get so constipated from it. Any advice greatly appreciated
Lara

Re: PMDD and Utrogestan

Post by Lara »

The antihistamine was likely the main cause of the weight gain, not the hormone therapy. Does the timing match?

Have you tried some of the natural antihistamine strategies I discuss in Hormone Repair Manual? Particularly avoiding alcohol and cow's dairy. Calming the mast cell and histamine response in that way can make it a lot easier to tolerate hormone therapy.