Can't get dr to subscribe ustrogestan

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Peta1

Can't get dr to subscribe ustrogestan

Post by Peta1 »

I live in a small Central Otago town and the Dr isn't open to the idea of using ustrogestan for perimenopause (not sure that she actually thinks perimenopause is a thing). How do I circumnavigate this issue? Happy to travel to Christchurch or Dunedin to find a doctor that will assist. Any recommendations of Dr's you have worked with would be welcome.
Lara

Re: Can't get dr to subscribe ustrogestan

Post by Lara »

New Zealand doctors generally seem quite happy to prescribe Utrogestan for heavy bleeding, so if you have heavy bleeding, you could try asking for it for that purpose only.

Alternatively, try asking the receptionist "which doctor at the practice has experience with menopause hormone therapy?" And then see that doctor and consider accepting a script for both Estradot (estrogen) and Utrogestan but start with the Utrogestan.
Peta1

Post by Peta1 »

So frustrated. 3 doctors appointments, provided studies recommended in Lara's book, and all the doc wanted to do was to push mirena. :-(

Not sure of where I can go from here?
Lara

Post by Lara »

for what symptom are you hoping to use it?
LyndseyH

Post by LyndseyH »

I'm having a similar problem in the UK. Am 46 and have cyclic very sore breasts in the two weeks prior to my period starting plus sleep disturbance / middle of night insomnia. My GP (NHS) said they will only prescribe combined HRT as oral micronised progesterone (or ustrogestan) not to be prescribed on its own (would be 'off licence'). I've now spoken with two other 'online' private menopause clinics and all say it is not in accordance with the British Menopause Society guidance to prescribe the ustrogestan on it's own. I have scanned in copies of relevant research from Dr. Jerilynn Prior to them but they said the research wasn't of 'high enough quality' and not included in BMS guidance and so they could also only prescribe combined HRT! Anyone else had any luck in the UK finding a doctor who will prescribe just ustrogestan for very early stage perimenopause symptoms?
Lara

Post by Lara »

As I mention above, one strategy is to just accept the script for both Estradot (estrogen) and Utrogestan but then start with only the Utrogestan.
LyndseyH

Post by LyndseyH »

thanks you Lara - i will try this and see how i get on.