Low Progesterone?

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Bombodiemalodie

Low Progesterone?

Post by Bombodiemalodie »

Hi - I'm new here. Have been reading Laras book and find it so helpful. I live in the UK.

I'm 46 and perimenopausal (I assume). For the past 6 months I've been having really really bad anxiety which seems to be much much worse after ovulation and peaks around days 20, 21, 22, 23, 24. My periods are still regular although sometimes 27 days, sometimes 28 and this month 26 days.

I literally feel like I'm going crazy during the luteal phase. It's like an intense feeling in my gut. My GP is really supportive but she just wants me to take estrogen (estrogel) which I've tried but it made my anxiety worse. GP said that estrogel wouldn't do that but I'm sure it does. I had a blood test on day 21 and my progesterone level was 28 which is in normal range but here in the UK they say it needs to be above 30 to indicate ovulation. I'm thinking that I must be low on progesterone. I haven't got any symptoms of low estrogen at all. No hot flashes or night sweats, no joint pain. And I feel the best during my period when estrogen is low.

Has anyone had the same experience and found relief through taking progesterone only? I have utrogestan and a progesterone cream but have been scared to take them incase my anxiety gets worse.

Thank you so much x
Bombodiemalodie

Re: Low Progesterone?

Post by Bombodiemalodie »

I should also mention that I have ovarian cysts and cystic breasts which I think is an indication that estrogen is high compared to progesterone?
Lara

Post by Lara »

Progesterone (utrogestan) is usually calming and tranquilising. That's true for most women (19 out of 20). It occasionally causes anxiety but only in about one in 20 women. So, the odds are that it will HELP anxiety.
There's no way to test ahead of time so my patients usually just try it and see how they feel. With my patients, I usually recommend picking a night in the luteal phase when there's nothing important the next morning and then try utrogestan at bedtime. In general, try for a few nights and see how it feels.
annajk

Post by annajk »

Can I ask, if progesterone is taken vaginally do we miss out on some benefits we would get by taking it orally? Or does it not matter?