PCOS and Perimenopause

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
EssBee

PCOS and Perimenopause

Post by EssBee »

Hi,

I'm wondering how to manage my PCOS now that I am perimenopausal. I was having regular cycles before perimenopause became more advanced (I'm in my mid 50's and started having perimenopausal things happen about 10 years ago, so I am getting close to moving into menopause). I've found that the male pattern hair growth has gotten worse is the most noticeable thing that's happening.

I've read your books and have been taking some supplements, which have helped, especially DIM seems to be helping with the hair on my chin but nothing seems to be having an impact on my weight.

The challenge for me is that your books and blogs don't talk about how to handle the two things combined, or how to deal with PCOS once I'm in menopause and after that. I know it doesn't go away and can have some significant health impacts, but how do I manage it?
Lara

Re: PCOS and Perimenopause

Post by Lara »

See the "testosterone dominance" section of Hormone Repair Manual (Chapter 4 -page 68) where I talk about the shift to insulin resistance and high androgens that happens at menopause and that can worsen an underlying PCOS state.

Of course, talk to your doctor about your individual situation, but in general, the best strategies going forward are to first, identify and reverse insulin resistance as the single most important strategy because insulin resistance increases androgens. and second, consider is body-identical estrogen and progesterone therapy for its anti-androgen, weight-loss promoting effect.

Possible supplements include magnesium, zinc, and inositol -- see Chapter 8, page 193 where I talk about inositol for menopause and PCOS.
EssBee

Post by EssBee »

Great, thank you! I will go back and re-read those sections/chapters and make the necessary adjustments to the supplements I'm taking.

I have a history of blood clots, so am extremely hesitant to take any hormones, body-identical or otherwise (and if I knew 30+ years ago what I know now, I would never, ever have taken the pill, in a lot of ways it seemed to just make things worse and cover up what was going on, and the doctors just shrugged their shoulders at it).
EssBee

Post by EssBee »

ok, so I've been making some adjustments and experimenting a bit to see what helps. I've just re-started Inositol in the last few days and that seems to be having a positive impact.

I'd taken it before, but didn't see any difference in anything, but I'm taking 8-10 grams/day this time (took 2g before), and that seems to be doing something, so I'm thinking I just wasn't taking the right dose before.
Ypalladino

Post by Ypalladino »

EssBee
EssBee wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:56 am ok, so I've been making some adjustments and experimenting a bit to see what helps. I've just re-started Inositol in the last few days and that seems to be having a positive impact.

I'd taken it before, but didn't see any difference in anything, but I'm taking 8-10 grams/day this time (took 2g before), and that seems to be doing something, so I'm thinking I just wasn't taking the right dose before.
EssBee, can you tell us what the inositol is helping you with? How’s it going now?
EssBee

Post by EssBee »

Insulin resistance--not craving sugar and just an over-all feeling of wellness.