Progesterone and hormonal acne

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Peri_chick

Progesterone and hormonal acne

Post by Peri_chick »

I’m in perimenopause and have been having abnormal uterine bleeding. Trying oral micronized progesterone with my doc to try and keep the uterine lining thin and help regulate my periods.

When I switched from Aygestin (was on it for a month to stop super heavy bleeding) to oral micronized progesterone (200Mg nightly), I started having bad hormonal cystic acne soon after that and it has persisted (was told to do 3 weeks on, 1 week off). This was unexpected after all of the wonderful things I read about OMP.

Has anyone else experienced this? I also have slightly elevated prolactin, so I plan on seeing an endocrinologist for all of this. I would prefer not to have to switch to an IUD and synthetic progestins.
Lara

Re: Progesterone and hormonal acne

Post by Lara »

Something to keep in mind is that high prolactin can cause acne. So, without knowing all the details of your case, I would venture that is a factor. Because high doses of progesterone can increase prolactin in some women.