Change in cycle symptoms while detoxing estrogen

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
nicki h

Change in cycle symptoms while detoxing estrogen

Post by nicki h »

Hi there, have recently started to clear estrogen from my liver via milk thistle, dandelion, flax seeds and a change in diet since my estrogen has been high for a while. I typically have my usual symptoms of pms under control with B6, taurine and magnesium.

However, since starting the new product for 2 weeks, my period was much longer in duration, my cycle was late by 3 days (which never happens) it's usually shorter and the breast tenderness and swelling, plus nipple pain was really prominent, and in general just felt more yuk and more fatigued and noticed a bit of joint pain which i haven't had in a while. My question is, is it normal to experience different or increased symptoms while estrogen is clearing from the liver...and the gut, and is this a good sign? Thanks!
Lara

Re: Change in cycle symptoms while detoxing estrogen

Post by Lara »

I wouldn't take those symptoms as a good sign, no. But at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily attribute those symptoms to the herbal medicines. Also, one funny cycle is nothing to worry about. Are you sure your cycles were previously ovulatory? (as in you were always ovulating with your cycles.) Or is it possible this cycle was your first ovulation in a while? And there's no chance you're pregnant?
nicki h

Re: Change in cycle symptoms while detoxing estrogen

Post by nicki h »

Hi Lara, thanks so much for responding.

I am not 100% sure as to whether I ovulate or not, I do get a period every month, I do get a slight pelvic throb sometimes mid cycle and notice a slight difference in discharge, so I am presuming that i do, I am not sure how else to tell. I'm definitely not pregnant.

I am actually wondering whether me changing my B complex and lowering magnesium recently could be at play. I switched from Mediherb's medimag to Orthaplex Alkamin calm and stopped my RNlabs B complex (and the Bs are a fair bit higher in that). I think it's lowered my vit B intake only be about 10mg, but I seem to have drastic changes in pmt symptoms depending on the level of vit B I take. It was literally lifechanging for pmt when I discovered B6. I swapped these products around to help with anxiety, alkalize my body a little more, for sleep and palpitations, and also to help clear with estrogen clearing. Have also started gemmune by integra nutritionals for the iodine, polyphenols and to continue my probiotic. So, lots of changes to my supplements in the last few weeks.

I have been reading such contradictory info on consuming flax and phytoestrogens in general for estrogen dominance, so did wonder if it was the milk thistle and flax that had set me off. I have also just started Rhodiola to rectify my cortisol levels too. I guess a few changes going on (and the breast tenderness has remained - now day 16) which is odd for me, but as you say, sometimes you get a cycle that is different to all others and normal service resumes.

A quick thank you for the amazing bibles that are the period repair manual and the hormone repair manual. I tell everyone about these books!

Thanks, Nicki